Sunday, August 27, 2017

NecronomiCon and meeting Fufu!



   On August 17, 2017 in Providence, Rhode Island, the NecronomiCon kicked off with the Ars Necronomica opening at the Woods-Gerry Gallery at the Rhode Island School of Design. It was here that I finally got to meet fellow Duck, Fufu Frauenwahl, who came all the way from Germany for the Con! For me, it was a fantastic weekend of weird lectures, creepy art, and meeting people in person who I've known for years only on social media. I think everyone was also able to make new friends, and I look forward to seeing everyone I met once again in two years when the Con happens again. Maybe we can get a few more Ducks over to Providence in 2019.


Fufu next to his work.

Walking around Providence, there are a number of Lovecraftian landmarks, including this: the "Shunned House" from the story of the same name. This is the story that spooked me a bit as a teenager, because a man is dissolved by an entity. Not sure why Lovecraft chose this house- it doesn't look too scary these days.

4 of Fufu's magnificent drawings.
Me in front of the three drawings I had in the show. Photo by Dave Felton.

Fufu doodling in the lobby before dinner.


5 comments:

Muriel Bellini said...

super expo, is good see you in pics Fufu, love your work!

Human Mollusk said...

Yeah, I also had the greatest time at the con and it was amazing meeting you and leafing through your insane sketchbook! You should really consider posting more of your sketches on EBD.

Human Mollusk said...

Thank you Muriel!

Marcel Ruijters said...

Wow, that must have been like a pilgrimage of sorts.

Human Mollusk said...

Yes, it was in a way. I had been to Providence before, but had never wandered around College Hill, where HPL lived for a long time and where one can find many of the houses described in his stories.