Tuesday, August 31, 2010


This monkey see - monkey do scene here is the front cover of my 36th sketchbook, which I finished this month. I have studied painting while in art school during the late eighties, but decided later that my paintings were drawings pretending to be paintings. Nowadays I hardly ever paint, except on the covers of my sketchbooks - for which, I must admit have something of a fetish. The canvas structure is always inviting enough to do something like this in acrylics. As a side note, this design is likely to become the cover of my next book with Le Dernier Cri, hopefully to be printed in 2011.

3 comments:

Gaspard Pitiot said...

36th sketchbook!!! This is impressive. 36 candles… Are you superstitious? It is the number of the Hidden Light.

Human Mollusk said...

Looks great Marcel! It would definitely make a beautiful cover.

Marcel Ruijters said...

Thanks guys! And no, I 'm not superstitious, but, as it takes me 8 months to finish a book, I am gaining slowly on my life years (I'm 44 now), so there will be a moment when I will have as many sketchbooks as years, so that would be magical in a sense.