Monday, January 07, 2008

Mammoth Logo and Lettering

Mammoth is going to be a clothing brand with a demographic that largely consists of Mixed Martial Arts fans. I was hired to work on the logo and it served as a perfect opportunity to do some more hand lettering.











I'm working on getting better with my hand lettering. In addition to the lettering in the logo above, this was all done by hand:



It's a lot of fun to not be restrained by what fonts you have installed and, rather, to rely on your own ability. I've got a way to go, but it should prove fun to get better.

As is usual, I encourage you to click on the images and get whisked away to my Flickr page. Larger versions are available and the linework looks better in the non-resized, uncompressed version. Hey, what can I say? I'm vain about my linework!

I know that a decent crowd of individuals reads these posts. I'd like to interact more with you guys. What part of my process do you guys have questions about? What would you like to see more of? Less of?

Thanks for feedback, it's always appreciated.

4 comments:

SEAN said...

nice Mammoth letters, nice & heavy. You know, i'm always pushing for non-computer produced work. You've got the nice lines & everything, it is only better with real & traditional tools. Plus, the originals are worth more.

SEAN said...

Oh also, i was perusing your flickr pages & found that your work is really reminding me of the shapes & line work of the guy who did Fish Police (a quarter comic staple). Check it out, it's a totally random connection, but there.

zeke said...

it's very enjoyable seeing your working process right through to the finished design, just wondered, have you ever done any pinstriping? that's something I'd like to have a go at some time but haven't done yet.

Ray Frenden said...

"You know, i'm always pushing for non-computer produced work. You've got the nice lines & everything, it is only better with real & traditional tools. Plus, the originals are worth more."

I did some traditional brush and ink work, and the results are basically the same as my digital. So, for instances like this where the end result needs to be digital (company logos, tee designs, marketing collateral), it only makes sense to stick to digital and avoid unnecessary legwork.

I do like working traditional now, though, and can see the appeal.

I'm going to look into that comic you mentioned!

Zeke, I look forward to trying pinstriping out, but haven't done any as yet. Similar to you in that sense.

I love seeing process too!