Sunday, December 16, 2007

CRETIN

cretin zine
I've been working on variations on this zine for a few years now, sort of teetering between different ideas. It all gelled recently though in a form i'm pretty excited about. I've been reading enormous stacks of Richie Rich, Archie, Sad Sack, Mad Magazine & junk like that, paying about as much attention to the old novelty ads as the actual comics. Anyhow, as you might know, i teach little kids how to draw comics & comical drawing styles, & i've got a son & before that, i worked in the children's room of the library, but it's always a bit of a teetering line that i walk. I've decided to directly produce all my output for kids, because i'm so disgusted by what's out there for them (it's all Japanese or Japanese influence crapola or emasculated PC nonsense) & my son has to live in this future world of nonsense. With another kid on the way, it makes it all the more urgent to reform the American cultural landscape into what i consider to be REAL AMERICAN CULTURE. Anyhow, i've also been watching the recently released Woody Woodpecker & Popeye collections which are blowing my socks off! So much cartoony violence! I love it.

4 comments:

Robert Adam Gilmour said...

Good stuff, I'd love to do stuff for kids. I just want them to have the great things I had, but every generation has something great the others never had.

Robert Adam Gilmour said...

Say...did you ever come across that cartoon that had lightning banging on the door of a ghost gallery of paintings that come alive? I think it was amongst the Woodpecker stuff.

SEAN said...

thanks! it's true that each generation gets something cool, but there are levels & degrees. i haven't seen that cartoon yet, but i've only watched the first disk of the Woody Woodpecker one. It has lots of extra cartoons too. Insanity!

Aeron said...

Have you considered putting together an illustrated kids book? Something with 15 or 20 color illustrations that involves some simplistic narrative would probably work. I could see you doing stacks of kick ass kids books with all the weirdo characters you come up with!