Thursday, October 04, 2007

Goblinko Tarot Deck

I've been toying with the idea of making a tarot deck for about 11 years now... my obsession with cards of all kinds has increased lately, so i figured that i should knock this sucker out. Here are the first two cards... the finals will be in color.
Page of Wands
page of wands
Knight of Wands
knight of wands
I've been wanting to expand my characters into a world along the lines of the Wizard of Oz books, but a bit more nasty & scary.
Here's a bit about the Suit of Wands. The wand reference isn't to "magic wands", but it relates to the suit of clubs in a regular card deck. The suit of Wands corresponds to the South direction or wind; the Fire element & the color, Red; the Summer season; the Divine world of the Kaballah; the yellow bile humor, & the Jungian function of intuition. In my world of characters, the suit of wands will be represented by the Salsiccians, who are essentially sausage men or flesh golems. Their colors were already red & yellow, they favor using the baton or club to beat people into submission. I suppose their empire can be southern now.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I would love to see your interpretation of a nasty and scary Wizard of Oz. I still think those two ass kicking dudes roaming the dungeons full of monsters is a great idea for a larger narrative too.

These pics have that great 15th century woodcut vibe that I'm a great fan of, the wheel of torture was a nice touch.

- aeron