Tuesday, November 21, 2006

Secret Origins...Revealed!

Hey all. I thought I'd introduce myself, since the only person on the blog I've really interacted with is Luke....

Anyway, my name's Noah Berlatsky. I live in Chicago, and have done some freelance writing (mostly reviews) for the Chicago Reader, the Comics Journal, and a couple other places. Writing for the Comics Journal is how I (virtually) met Luke. He hated a couple of my pieces, so we got to insult each other on the message board for a bit. And the rest is history.

I've self-published a bunch of very, very small circulation zines, and I write poetry and fiction, mostly to amuse myself, though occasionally the good folks at Poor Mojo's Almanac(k) print something. In the last couple of years I've been doing some drawing, most recently for the Flaming Fire Illustrated Bible Project, which you probably all know about, but should check out if you don't.

And...I work part-time at a correspondence high-school writing textbooks and exams and stuff like that; the rest of the time I watch my son, Siah, who's three. A lot of my zine and comics projects have been done with my pal, Bert Stabler, who's a kick-ass artist, and also writes criticism for the reader. My initial plan for the blog is to try to post a series of about 110 abstract drawings I did based on every page of the Deities and Demigods AD&D tome...though that may be overly ambitious, especially given the lameness of my HTML skills. Anyway, we'll see....and I think that's about it for me. I'd be curious to know anything at all about the rest of you folks, though; it'd be nice to put some sort of personal details to the posts....

6 comments:

Aeron said...

Did you know Crispin Glover was at the Music Box this month talking about and showing his film "What Is It?" I'm curious about this abstract drawing series. So it's based on an rpg book of gods? How are you reinterpreting them?

Anonymous said...

Noah! Nice to find you here, thanks for the plug, and right back at you!

http://www.newswire.poormojo.org/archives/012536.php

Alan Benard
Poormojo's Almanac(k) and Newswire

Now with added Hate! And Cute!

http://poormojo.org/hate
http://poormojo.org/love

Noah Berlatsky said...

Yes, it's the rpg book. My reinterpretation basically centers around the fact that I can't draw, so when I copy something it doesn't look anything like the original illustration. I'll start posting them soon, I think, with a fuller explanation, and then you'll be able to see whether your curiosity is warranted.

I would have liked to have seen Crispin Glover; he's great. Sadly, opportunities to interact with cultural events go down substantially when you have a small child....

Luke P. said...

Noahs' drawing style is this really nice, scratchy, messy kind of thing. It's really good.
Noah- if you need any help with HTML, lemme know. I'll even go in and fix-up whatever posts you want me to.
I don't mind.It makes me feel usefull, in fact.
For the record, I don't hate the article Noah wrote for TCj ( something baout hipsters being sad..) at all anymore.
I kind of like it now, in fact.
I also like to argue sometimes..
Noah also sent me a pile of his zines- a lot of them I liked quite a bit. The man is active.
Good idea about biographical details in posts. I'll keep it in mind.

Paleo said...

Hey Noah, just chipping in to mention how much i dig your article "Boredom on Infinite Earths".

Choice Quote: "dangling reputation in front of cartoonists is a bit like waving red meat in front of a starving Chihuahua"

HA!

Noah Berlatsky said...

Hey, thanks! If you like that sort of thing, I have an equally snotty review of of Jeffrey Brown's latest in TCJ 279, which is supposed to be out, like, next week, I think. I also sneer at a couple of other books and gush about Dame Darcy's illustrated Jane Eyre and interview Johnny Ryan at length.

And some other people wrote things for it as well, I understand.